So go slow it is.
First stop Sumatra, August 2008. It's got lots of jungle, lots of wild animals, some really interesting traditional cultures, heaps of volcanos to climb, rare flora, and not too many of those aforementioned tourists. Though there's a place up north near Medan called Bukit Lawang that seems to be crawling with them, along with the obligatory Orangutan Rehab Centre (read glorified tourist trap). I'm heading straight to Padang, and straight to a dinky di restaurant to start eating the heavenly food this region is famous for. I like hot, so I'm looking forward to a good rendang.
But first things first:
- Let work know, find a house and dogsitter. (pending)
- Buy plane ticket (done)
- Get Indonesian visa. I want to have the full 2 months so will need to apply before leaving as Visa on Arrival is only for 30 days.
- Advertise for travel companions. Always nice to have company along the road less travelled.
- Learn Bahasa Indonesian. I know a few basics but this trip I'll need a little more. (work in progress)
- Get damn fit. Well I'm going jungle trekking and volcano climbing, the pegs are going to need to be in good condition. Lucky for me I don't smoke. (work in progress)
Post a Comment